Beecroft-Cheltenham History Group

Albert Road

Named after Prince Albert (1819-1861) the husband of Queen Victoria

 Houses in Albert Rd.

Allerton Road

This was created by the 1959 subdivision by Hilda Seale. The name comes from the property ‘Allerton’ on Murray Farm Road owned by her sister Mary Isobel Crosbie McDonnell and her husband Pierce McDonnell from at least 1915-1933

Bambara Crescent

This derives from an Aboriginal word meaning ‘forest.’ Created by the subdivision in 1960 of “Plympton” the property of Charles Churchill Tucker. The first subdivision using this name was by Stocks and Holdings. 

Bingara Road Created by the subdivision in 1960 of “Plympton” the property of Charles Churchill Tucker. The first subdivision using this name was by Stocks and Holdings 

Beecroft Road  -  Beecroft

 Houses in Beecroft Rd - Beecroft

Beecroft Road East (formerly Beecroft Parade)

 Houses in Beecroft Rd East (formerly Beecroft   Parade)

Beecroft Road  -  Cheltenham

 Houses in Beecroft Road - Cheltenham

Blackwood Close

Named after the Blackwood family who built and lived at “Maraba” 8 Beecroft     Road

Boronia Avenue - Beecroft

 Houses in Boronia Ave.
Bullawai Place Created by the subdivision in 1960 of “Plympton” the property of Charles Churchill Tucker. This was also the site of the Borseman orchard and the Webster cut flower farm. The first subdivision using this name was by L J Hooker. 

Burn's Road, Beecroft

Incorrectly named after the Byrne’s family who  had a dairy on this land until 1946

Calool Road  Created by the subdivision in 1960 of “Plympton” the property of Charles Churchill Tucker. The first subdivision using this name was by Stocks and Holdings.
Carawathra Street Created by the subdivision in 1960 of “Plympton” the property of Charles Churchill Tucker. This was also the site of the Borseman orchard and the Webster cut flower farm. The first subdivision using this name was by L J Hooker. 

Carlisle Crescent, Beecroft

Named after the Carlisle   family who lived at “Kelvin Grove” 557 Pennant Hills Road. The street was   formed in 1953.

Castle Howard Road, Cheltenham

Castle Howard is a famous mansion near Malton in Yorkshire. Malton was the birthplace of Sir Henry Copeland’s wives.

Chapman Avenue, Beecroft

Named after the Chapman family who lived in “The Grange”

Houses in Chapman Avenue  

 

Cheltenham Road 

 

Houses in Cheltenham Road

Chorley Avenue

 Houses in Chorley Avenue

Copeland Road East, Beecroft

Named after Sir Henry Copeland (1839-1904) who was Secretary (now known as Minister) for Lands in the NSW Parliament in 1886-1887 and again 1891-1894. 

Houses Copeland Road East North side (odd numbers)

Houses Copeland Road East South side (even numbers)

Copeland Road - Originally Copeland Street

Houses in Copeland Road
Edwards Avenue Created in a 1963 subdivision it was named after an early landowner John Edwards 
Ferndale Road Created by a subdivision in 1930 by O F Nelson & Co Ltd 
Finlay Avenue This was created by the 1959 subdivision by Hilda Searle. This was named after Douglas Joseph Finlay who was killed in WW1 and was the brother of both Mrs Frank (Hilda) Seale and Mrs Pierce (Mary Isobel) Crosbie-McDonnell of ‘Allerton’ Murray Farm Road Beecroft.

Fiona Road

Named after “Fiona” the home of Frederick and Eliza Mason who lived on the south side of Copeland Road near the present day intersection with Hull Road

Houses in Fiona Road 

Garrett Road

Named after the Garrett family who lived nearby in 1917

Glenwood Close Created in 1963 as part of the subdivision of the Barwick Estate
Grace Avenue This street was developed in the 1950s by Alice Oxley. Originally it was a through road but became a cul de sac with the construction of the Thompson’s Corner Tunnel in 1993. Alice Oxley named the street after her mother Grace Oxley who died in 1936. Her parents owned an 18 ½ acre orchard between Cardinal Avenue and Thompson’s Corner from 1905. It contained a house called ‘Camerton’ (on the southern side of Pennant Hills Road) which was their home. Samuel (Alice’s father) was a produce merchant. Many of the original houses were built by Geoffrey Smith. 

Hannah Street

This street was named after the first wife of Sir Henry Copeland who was Hannah the daughter of James Beecroft brewer of Malton Yorkshire, England.

Houses in Hannah Street 

Hull Road

Named   after the city in Yorkshire – which was the County from whence Sir Henry  Copeland came.

Jacinta Avenue Named after the young Portuguese girl Jacinta who, with her friends Lucia and Francisco, witnessed the miracle of Our Lady of Fatima on 13 May 1913. The street was so named by Herbert George Willis as a result of his placing his faith in Our Lady of Fatima following the death of his son Eric, in a plane crash in Japan as a member of the occupation forces in December 1946. Herbert George Willis owned a 3 acre farm in Albert Road (while working as a design engineer with the Railway) which he later subdivided. 
John Street Created in a 1963 subdivision it was named after an early landowner John Edwards 
Kirril Avene Created by a subdivision in 1960 of land owned by the Bandiera and Rizzardo and Chix families. 
Keira Place Created by a subdivision in 1960 of land owned by the Bandiera and Rizzardo and Chix families. 
Kent Street  Named after Captain William Kent who was granted 460 acres in this vicinity in 1803. It originated as a means of hauling timber.
Kenwick Lane This lane arose from a combination of the names of Ken Brown and Wickham Beaston who owned the land upon which this lane was built. Their wives (Billie Brown and Joan Beaston) were potters who established in 1969 their own gallery in Beecroft which they called Kenwick Gallery because of the same combination of names. 

Kirkham Street

Kirkham is a town about 10 km southwest of Malton in Yorkshire. It has a priory which is a local landmark. It is therefore another name with a connection to the wives of Sir Henry Copeland.

Houses in Kirkham Street 

Lamona Avenue Was created in a 1960 subdivision undertaken by Westfield Corporation. The land was part of the Maher family holdings. 

Lilla Road

Houses in Lilla Road

Lynbrae Avenue This was created by a 1961 subdivision of “Chelodene” the home of Ted and Lila Maher. Mrs Maher gave the name to the street. The street was extended in 1964 by the subdivision by Lillian Cartwright of her 7 acre family home “Sunny Glen.” 

Lyne Road, Cheltenham

Named after Sir William John Lyne (1844-1913) a Premier of NSW.

Houses in Lyne Road

Mahers Close

This is the remnant of Mahers Road following the construction of the motorway. It was named after the Maher family who lived in its vicinity. Edward Maher was a significant landowner including 28 acres purchased in 1855 from the Mount Wilberforce property of the Reverend Samuel Marsden and in 1882 ‘Murray Farm’. 

Mallada Place

Created by a 1960 sudvision of the Rizzardo cut flower farm called ‘La Tosca’ 

Malton Road

This road was named after Malton a town in Yorkshire, England, where the wives of Sir Henry Copeland were born.

Houses in Malton Road - North

Houses in Malton Road - South

Marron Place Created by a 1960 subdivision of the Rizzardo cut flower farm called 'La Tosca' 

Mary Street

This street was named after the second wife of Sir Henry Copeland who was Mary the daughter of James Beecroft brewer of Malton Yorkshire, England.

Houses in Mary Street

Marwood Drive This was created by a 1961 subdivision of “Chelodene” the home of Ted and Lila Maher. Mrs Maher gave the name to the street. 

 Mason Avenue, Cheltenham

Named after “Mason’s Paddock” which it ran through. Mason was Frederick Mason a builder living in Hannah Street, Beecroft. He and his wife were stalwarts of the Methodist (now Uniting) Church in Beecroft. Mason’s Paddock was the site of an early cricket pitch.

Houses in Mason avenue 

Mawsori Avenue  This was created by a 1958 subdivision
Meadow Close  This was created by a 1967 Subdivision
Midson road Named after the Midson family who lived in the vicinity. Edward Midson arrived in the Colony in 1855. William Midson was credited with naming Epping. This road ends at its southern extremity at what is now Terry Street Eastwood and which was the end of the former Dundas Municipality. 

 Murray Farm Road

Both Murray Road and Murray Farm road were named after Andrew Murray who arrived in the Colony in 1817 and owned land in the vicinity. His wife was the daughter of David Kilpack, a convict arriving on the First Fleet and the holder of one of the earliest grants in the district.

Houses in Murray Farm Road 

Murray Road

Houses in Murray Road

Norma Crescent, Cheltenham

Houses in Norma Crescent

Norwood Avenue Named after ‘Norwood’ the Finch family home on this site. The house was built around 1890. Originally comprising 10 acres leased by Robert Finch and his sons Desmond and Bruce they purchased it in 1939. It was originally an orchard but later specialised in flowers. The subdivision was in 1964. 
Park Avenue The street was created by a subdivision of 1903 of an area known as Beecroft Park Estate – hence the name of this street.
Parker Close Named after the Badgery-Parker family that created the subdivision in 1962. 

Pennant Hills Road

Houses in Pennant Hills Road

Redgrove Avenue Created by a subdivision in 1930 by O F Nelson & Co Ltd 
Roselea Way Named because of the rose nurseries in the area it was created in 1964 as part of the subdivision of the Pennant Hills Wireless Station 
Saracen Road Created by a subdivisionsubdivision in 1930 by O F Nelson & Co Ltd 
Seale Close  Intended by the developer to be called Bruce Close local residents successfully lobbied for it to be named after the family whose home was demolished to make way for the subdivision – the Seale family.
Sunhaven Road  Created by a 1964 subdivision it is named after the house on the site “Sunhaven” which had been built by the French Fogolins family

Sutherland Road

Named after Councillor Charles Sutherland who was a Councillor of Hornsby Shire for 33 years and President for 10 years Houses in Sutherland Rd, Beecroft

 Houses in Sutherland Rd, Cheltenham

The Boulevard, Cheltenham

The name of the street was given by William Chorley after the name of a street in the town where he married, Cheltenham, England.

Houses in The Boulevard

The Crescent, Cheltenham

Houses in The Crescent

The Promenade, Cheltenham

The name of the street was given by William Chorley after the name of a street in the town where he married, Cheltenham, England

Houses in The Promenade

Tristania Way Tristania is the botanical name for the tree known as the Brush Box.

Wandeen Avenue, Beecroft

The name of the street takes its name from the original home – “Wandeen Cottage”. 2 Wandeen avenue.

Houses in Wandeen Avenue

Welham Street, Beecroft

Named after a parish in Leicestershire connected with the Copeland family

Houses in Welham street

Wongala Crescent, Beecroft

 

Houses in Wongala Crescent
York Street, Beecroft

This street was named after the county which was the birth place of both wives of Sir Henry Copeland.

Houses in York Street

 

 

 

Go to top