Search
Close this search box.

Houses by Street – Beecroft Rd Cheltenham – Western Side

Western Side (even numbers

150 Lauriston (originally Fremblik), is a Federation bungalow that was built around 1902. Between 1915 to 1919 it was the home of Thomas Perry and then the home of Mr Whitfield King who were still living there in 1934.

The house is listed on the Hornsby Shire Council Heritage Register which comprises Schedule 5 (Environmental Heritage) of the Hornsby Local Environment Plan 2013.

152, Quambi and then Chislehurst, is a good quality federation style house with an Anglo-Indian bungalow influence evident in the central roof ventilator and wide verandah. It was built between 1902 and 1910 and features a ballroom, a croquet lawn and a tennis court. The addition of a high fence and gates, understandable for its location, conceals this beautiful house. This was the home of a law stationer, Thomas Kenyon and his family, who lived here from at least 1911 until 1920. The Kenyons bought and sold land throughout the District. After they sold, it was the home to a succession of medical practitioners who retained the house name Chislehurst: Dr Janner (1924 to 1927), Dr Stewart Shirlow (1928 to 1931) and Dr C H Oliver (1932).

The house is listed on the Hornsby Shire Council Heritage Register which comprises Schedule 5 (Environmental Heritage) of the Hornsby Local Environment Plan 2013.

154, Mulwaree, built in 1902 for Alfred Higgs by the architect Joseph Seale. The builder was Arthur Robson. It has an interesting mix of roofing materials: Marseilles tiles on the main roof, slate on the verandah roof and timber shingles on the gable ends. The double garage with billiard room is an addition.

158. The house is listed on the Hornsby Shire Council Heritage Register which comprises Schedule 5 (Environmental Heritage) of the Hornsby Local Environment Plan 2013.

170. The house is listed on the Hornsby Shire Council Heritage Register which comprises Schedule 5 (Environmental Heritage) of the Hornsby Local Environment Plan 2013.

Northern Corner with Cheltenham Road. This site is claimed to be the only commercial operations in Cheltenham – comprising a small general store and a petrol pump from 1922 until the 1970s. Such was local feeling about a commercial activity in Cheltenham that daughters of early residents told of having to send the family maid or daily help to this store to purchase hair pins as they were forbidden to be seen to patronise this store. In fact, it isn’t the only site of commercial activity as, in the early 1930,s there was also a car hire business and a real estate agent located near the railway station in The Crescent.

174. The house is listed on the Hornsby Shire Council Heritage Register which comprises Schedule 5 (Environmental Heritage) of the Hornsby Local Environment Plan 2013.

178, Glengaven was built in 1904 [1].

[1]      Northern District Times, Property Supplement, 20 June 2018.