Search
Close this search box.

FAQs

  • Cheltenham, named after the home town of a significant early settler, William Chorley, was the name given to the railway station opened in 1898, 25 Km from Sydney.
    Read more here:
  • Beecroft took its name from the sisters Hannah and Mary Beecroft, who were the first and second wives of Henry Copeland, minister for lands in the 1880s and 1890s.

In 1835, James Devlin bought “William Farm” in what is now northern Epping from trustees appointed for the sale of the land holdings of William Kent. The farm abutted a creek on its western side and that creek is now called Devlins Creek. 

Click here to read more:

Byles Creek is named after Marie Byles whose house “Ahmisa” was built high on the banks of the creek ( ath the end of Day’s Road) around 1937.

Click here to read more:

Booth Park is named after Reverend Albert Booth who was the Headmaster of Beecroft Grammer School who used to live in 154 Copeland Rd East, just above the Park.

Click here to read more:

The Wallumettagal people were the original inhabits of the Beecroft and Cheltenham area.

Click here to read more:

We are not aware of any Wallumettagal artefacts in Beecroft and Cheltenham. It is likely that most of the Wallumettagal’s time was spent on the more fertile areas around the Parramtta and Lane Cover Rivers.

The Strathfield to Hornsby line was opened on 17 September 1886 by William Lyne (Secretary of Public Works) and George Dibb (Colonial Secretary).

Click here to read more:

 

The Fire Brigade opened in 1915. There was a shortage of motorised fire engines which meant that the running appliance was a hand drawn hose reel with 1470 feet of hose.

Click here to read more:

Click on the person to read more:

Beecroft and Cheltenham joined the modern world of sewerage only in the 1960s.

Click here to read more:

 

 

By January, 1924, the area from Epping to Hornsby had electricity available.

Click here to read more:

The first person to open a store in Beecroft was Thomas Stobo, who in 1893 came with his family to Beecroft to start life again after suffering financial loss in the economic depression of the 1890s. A small timber building opposite the present Beecroft railway station became their home as well as their shop

Read more here:

Sparks Shoes opened in 1931 and closed in 2023.

Read more here:

St John’s School-Church, Beecroft opened in 1891.

Read more here:

St John’s Anglican Church opened with a  ceremony was held on 7 February 1891 although it was not licensed as an Anglican Church until 18 January 1892

Read more here:

Federal

State

  • Beecroft and Cheltenham are in Epping for NSW voting.

Local Government

Click on link to see a map:

Beecroft

Beecroft is approximately bounded by Kethel St to the south, Byles Creek to the east,  Byles Creek, Wongala Cres and Pennant Hills Rd and to the north and Pennant Hills Road to the west.

Cheltenham

Cheltenham is approximately bounded by Devlins Creek and Byles Creek to the north and east,  the M2 motorway to the south and Murray rd and Kethel St to the north and west. 

 

The platform at Beecroft Station is 141m  above sea level.

Read more here:

The platform at Chentenham Station is 114m  above sea level.

Read more here: