This road was named after Malton a town in Yorkshire, England, where the wives of Sir Henry Copeland were born.
2 - Cranebrook
The land was originally purchased in 1891 by Robert Henry Carter, who sold it in 1903 to Robert Fowler MLC of Camperdown. He sold in 1908 to George Sargent who in turn sold in 1910 to John Vernon.
John Vernon (1844-1924) and his wife Mary, built the home following his retirement as Auditor-General. When building the home they included a dental surgery with a separate entrance for the last of their children to be living at home – Harry Gordon Vernon. Their son also had a dental practice in Sydney.
In 1937 the property was sold to Charles Horton a carpenter of Beecroft.
12 – Lynwood
As with Cranebrook, this land had been owned by Robert Henry Carter and Robert Fowler MLC before being purchased in 1904 by Ada Nixon the wife of William Mark Nixon. William Nixon was an architect and he designed the house built on the property as their family home. As the family started to leave home, the Nixon’s sold the home and built a new home across the street – now known as ‘Kunaware.’ This property was purchased in 1911 by Mary Bell North, the wife of John George North, stockbroker.
The architects were Charles Slatyer and Nicholas Shiels.
14-18 – Mindaribba
This land was originally purchased by John Mason of Petersham in 1891. He sold the land in 1895 to John Searle. John Searle had been a Station Master at Maitland and he named the house which he built on this site after a town near Maitland.
The house was built by Joseph Fowler who was married to John Searle’s sister Mary. Joseph Fowler founded Fowler’s Potter Works.
11 – Kunaware
This home was designed by William Nixon as his family home, after his earlier home in Beecroft (‘Lynwood’) became too large. In 1921 the home was sold to Charles Robertson Swann (1880-1946) of ‘Kunaware’ Hannah Street Beecroft. The name is an Aboriginal word for ‘swan’s nest.’
Robertson Swann was a member of the New Guard and of the Freetrade and Values League. He was an avid book collector. His wife was also a collector, and had a large collection of tea pots. She was also a great supporter of charities working especially with the Red Cross, Anglican Boys Home at Carlingford and the Malahide Tuberculosis at Pennant Hills. She was Secretary of the Dickens Fellowship. Their son Raoul died tragically in 1931 from an infection caught while swimming. The shelter on Beecroft Road near St Johns’ Anglican Church was erected in his memory.
27 - Cloonycarn
This land was originally purchased in 1891 by Edward Tysoe Lea of Granville. He sold it in 1892 to Joseph Horne who sold it in 1909 to Winifred Carlos the wife of Joseph Carlos a barrister with chambers in Elizabeth Street Sydney. Mrs Carlos was a noted golfer and was a finalist in the 1907 Beecroft Golf Club competition. Mr & Mrs Carlos moved in 1916 and rent the house until it was sold in 1923 to Edward Wailes. His family retains the home until 1975.
57 Malton Road – corner Timbertop Way
Portion 698 of the sale of the Field of Mars Common, was, like so many other portions initially sold to Robert Thomas Carter a land agent of Sydney. He purchased this portion on 20 June 1891. For the sale of the Commons see elsewhere on this website. On 1 March 1894 he sold this land to Charles James Cook a builder of Strathfield. Mr Cook subdivided the portion into 6 (calling the subdivision the Ellesmere Estate) and his mortgagee in possession sold the middle one on 6 November 1902 to Jessie May Marsh. She in turn sold in October 1905 to Henry Luttman Ellis a civil servant of Beecroft. He in turn sold it to Dewdney Ellis a traveller but also of Beecroft. Upon the death of the second Mr Ellis in 1952 part of the middle lot was sold to Alexander Hamilton Campbell and the eastern part (being the corner of modern day Timbertop Way but then forming part of Clarke Road) to Robert Wilkinson the younger a chemist initially working with Colonial Sugar Refining. The remainder of the land was transferred to the widow of the second Mr Ellis – Isabella Margaret Ellis.
Robert Wilkinson subdivided his land and the corner block to Timbertop Way was sold in September 1955 to Donald Oscar Pearson and his wife Shirley Elizabeth Pearson. Upon their deaths the land was sold in 1993. Upon the death of that owner in 2016 the land was sold in 2017.
Wilkinson further subdivided the remaining land on this site in 1988.
 For more information on John Vernon refer to the section on people in Beecroft/Cheltenham
 For more information on William Mark Nixon refer to the section on people in Beecroft/Cheltenham
 For more information on John Searle refer to the section on people in Beecroft/Cheltenham
 H Barker Houses of Hornsby Shire Vol 2 (Hornsby, 1998) pp 38-39