Copeland Road East
Copeland Road is named after Sir Henry Copeland (1839-1904) who was Secretary (now known as Minister) for Lands in the NSW Parliament in 1886-1887 and again 1891-1894
138 - “Chetwynd”
The land was first purchased in 1891 by Henry Perdriau Jnr and he sold it in 1900 to Thomas Henry Brown Skellett. Skellett built the house which originally had its gates on the corner of Copeland Road East and Sutherland Road.
Skellett’s father had arrived from England to overseer the construction of the Sydney-Picton Railway line and he similarly worked all of his career for the railways – ending at the time of his retirement, in 1920, as the Chief Cashier. Skellett was very active in the local St John’s Anglican Church as well as the local Progress Association and School of Arts. He survived both of his wives and two children, dying at 84 years.
From 1931 the property was occupied by V Goldwater.
The architect of the Art Noveau style home was Charles Searle of Cheltenham.
142 - “Mirriwa”
From 1914-1918 the home was occupied by Arthur H Stirling. From 1919-1923 by Benjamin J Ball (who had previously lived in ‘Shirley’) and then from 1924 by John A North the stockbroker. 
148 – “Copeland” formerly “Coonoona”
This home was occupied between 1914-1919 by Horace O Bucknell, 1918-1920 by William R Moran, 1921-1925 by Ernest Hambridge and from 1927 by J Carr.
Photo taken 2010
154 - “Shirley”
Between 1914-1915 it was occupied by Benjamin J Ball, 1916-1917 by J Thomas, 1918-1925 by William W Service and from 1926 as the boarding house of Beecroft Grammar - and residence of the headmaster Reverend Albert Booth.
Photo taken 1924
Photo taken 2010
During the 1980-90s it was the home of the Graves family. John Graves was a Queens Counsel.
141 - “Araluen”
The land was first acquired in 1891 by Walter Simpson Perdriau who sold it in 1914 to Christina Baker the wide of Frederick Baker. She sold it in 1917 to Lesley James Brown (1877-1919).
Brown was Manager, City Iron Works and died, at the age of 42 years, within just a year of building this home for his family. Upon his death the home was sold to Ernest John Hyde who then leased the home to Brown’s widow, Marion, for a number of years.
The home was built in 1918.
This home was built by Walter Perdrieu who then sold it to Mr Clement Meadmore. Phyllis, the Meadmore daughter married Jesse Jewhurst (JJ) Hilder (1881-1916) the landscape artist who visited the house. The late James Gleeson said: “Throughout his short life he [Hilder] was plagued by ill-health and poverty and he died of tuberculosis in Hornsby…Hilder’s reputation rests on his watercolours. These were small delicate landscapes executed in a kind of tonal romanticism derived from Corot…Today his paintings are valued for their wistful charm but it is generally recognised that they hold only a minor place in the story of Australian Art.”
159 - “Uralla”
The land was first acquired in 1896 by John Stinson who sold it in 1900 to Mary Swanborough the wife of James Swanborough a bootmaker of Croydon. She sold the land in 1901 to George Sargent.
George Sargent (1859-1921) and his wife Charlotte (1856-1924) built this home in 1903 and lived in it until 1912 whereafter it was leased. The family sold the home in 1926 to MabelCape and Edith Nathan.
The architect was William Nixon.
213- Copeland Road East, Beecroft 
This land originally formed part of portion 660 of the Crown land forming part of the Field Of Mars Common sold by auction in the 1890s. For the earlier history of the sale of the Field of Mars Common see elsewhere on this web site.
This land was purchased by Mary Jane Wilson of Beecroft for 11 pounds. In September 1895 she sold the land to a land agent of Sydney, Alfred Arthur Copland Bastian. The next month he on-sold to Antoinette Dean the wife of Thomas Dean a hairdresser in Sydney. In September 1911 she sold to Adele Perdriau. Adele was the daughter of Walter Simpson Perdriau and granddaughter of Henry Carter Perdriau. For the story of the Perdriau see elsewhere on this website. At the time of the purchase she lived with her parents at “The Bungalow” 141-143 Copeland Road East. In 1913 she married Arthur Woodhouse Tait and then in 1915 transferred this land to her mother, Agnes. Agnes sold the land in September 1916 when she sold it to Edward James Kinney who was a poultry famer in Beecroft and already owned the neighbouring portion 659 – which he had purchased in 1911.
Kinney lived on portion 659 and continued to conduct his poultry farm there until 1923 but in 1919 sold a half interest in the land to a partnership comprising fellow poultry farmer Rudolph Eberhardt of Mosman and Cecil Craven Webb an Insurance Accountant of Sydney. Between 1923 and 1944 the land was leased to Albert Archibald Hewitt of Beecroft who was a wood working machinist. From 1944 the land was owned by investors until sold in June 1956.
Barbara Jane Howard of Cheltenham purchased portions 459 and 1460 in June 1956 and subdivided the land in August 1960 – which also created Argyll Place. This property became both 213 Copeland Road and 15 Argyll Place.
In July 1961 this land was sold to Keith William Stanton an engineer of Meadowbank and his wife Margaret. They built their home on the land and were still living there into the 1980s. The current owners purchased the property in 2016.
 H Barker & M Elven Houses of Hornsby Shire Vol 1 (Hornsby, 1989) pp 59-61
 Sands Directories
 Sands Directories
 Sands Directories
 H Barker Houses of Hornsby Shire Vol 2 (Hornsby, 1998) pp 64-68
 D Carmichael Tales of Beecroft (Beecroft, 1965) p 17
 J Gleeson Australian Painters (Dee Why, 1971) p 119
 H Barker Houses of Hornsby Shire Vol 2 (Hornsby, 1998) pp 31-34
 For more information on George Sargent refer to the section on people in Beecroft/Cheltenham
 The information for this property was derived from Sue Rosen Heritage Impact Statement: 213 Copeland Road Cheltenham August 2017