Beecroft Road (formerly Beecroft Parade)
8 - Marabar
This land was purchased in 1887 by Myles McRae of Kogarah. He sold it in 1889 to Edward Orme a merchant of Sydney who in turn sold it to Ludovic Blackwood.
G Dalton a builder of Beecroft constructed the home in 1907-08.
None of Blackwood’s children married and when the last surviving child. Elizabeth, went to reside in a nursing home in 1967, the house was sold. Part of the land forming the estate was also donated to the National Trust.
From 1903 to 1905 Ravenhurst was a college Link Early Schools/ Ravenhurst College
Early photo of Ravenhurst before renovation. One of a group of 3 adjacent Federation Houses built by Frederick Mason (110,112,114) on Beecroft Road in 1920-s . John and Winifred Hammond bought the house in the 1950s and made it their home for more than 40 years leaving it in the early 1990s .The garden that occupied this large block was truly spectacular with many mature fruit tree and flowering shrubs creating a beautiful oasis enjoyed by the family.
Link to Frederick Mason.
130 - Ramona
This land was first purchased by George Robert Harrison in 1887. Harrison had migrated to Australia from England in the 1840’s and became a timber merchant. He was extensively involved in both the Church of England and the Church Missionary Society. He built the present house in 1887-8.
George Harrison sold his home in 1911 to the Intercolonial Investment Land and Building Company Ltd. This Company proceeded immediately to subdivision with the “Ramona Estate” proceeding to auction on 7 October 1911. The subdivision left “Ramona” on a substantial block that went between Beecroft Road and Boronia Avenue. The auction included the potential for vendor finance of 68 monthly payments and 5% interest. A covenant was placed on the title to each lot requiring that it be used for the next 20 years as a residential dwelling costing at least 500 pounds to build. 
The house and immediate block was purchased by Gustav Heuman, a city importer
144-146 - Brunoy
This land was created on the subdivision in 1915-16 of the Ramona Estate. It was purchased by Herbert Leslie Arnott who arranged for the home to be built. Arnott was the son of William Arnott a baker who had migrated from Scotland and founded the famous bakery and biscuit making firm. Arnott managed the Homebush factory of the family firm.
Upon Arnott’s death in 1955 the home was sold to the Home Mission Society of the Anglican Church to become one of its Chesalon Nursing Homes.
The architects of this home were Spain, Cosh and Dods. It was built by Kell & Rigby.
21 - Red Hill
This land was purchased in 1893 by Grantley Hyde Fitzhardinge. The house was so named because of the red soil revealed in the nearby railway cuttings.
While the house had its own tennis courts, school room and quarters for a governess, Fitzhardinge preferred to sleep on a first floor open verandah. Following his death his daughter Miss Julie Fitzhardinge lived in the home. Miss Fitzhardinge was Principal of Women’s College, University of Sydney.
The architect was Herbert Ross an admirer of William Morris. He designed the house with a mixture of Arts & Crafts and art noveau styles.
Corner with Albert Street - Kilwinning
This land was purchased in 1887 by Alfred Cox (or Cock) and Alfred built the house on the property in 1889. Alfred’s occupation was a dyer.
Upon the death of both of his parents, Alfred’s son William sold the property in 1907 to Joseph Home, a Sydney real estate agent.
63 - Lorne
This land was purchased in 1887 by George Thomas Smith who sold it in 1903 to Frederick Knight. Knight sold it in 1909 to Dr Mark Cowley Lidwill.
Lidwill’s wife, Constance, was the sister of the architect George Sydney Jones. Jones was the son of Sir Phillip Sydney Jones a physician who specialised in treating tuberculois and was Chancellor of the University of Sydney. The father of Sir Phillip was David Lloyd Jones of the retailing family. George Sydney Jones was the architect of this home.
Lidwill did not remain long in the property and sold his new home in 1910 to Dr Charles Ryegate.
115 – “Carmel” (corner of The Crescent)
The property was used by a series of carriers from at least 1915 – namely John T Griffiths (1915-1918), James Doran (1918-1923), Bateman & Coleman (1923) and Doran & Gilroy carriers (1924-1932). The house appears to have been separately occupied by W J Kalman JP between 1925 and 1932.
From about 1936 the property has remained in the hands of the same family. During the late 1930’s the family conducted a doll’s hospital from the home.
149 – “Alabama”
This property was occupied from 1915 until at least 1932 by John E McIntosh
151 – “Grenada”
This property was occupied between 1915-1922 by Sydney Wheeler and from 1923 until at least 1932 by Charles E James.
 H Barker & M Elven Houses of Hornsby Shire Vol 1 (Hornsby, 1989) pp 72-74
 For more information on Ludovic Blackwood refer to the section on people in Beecroft/Cheltenham
 For more information on G H Fitzhardinge refer to the section on people in Beecroft/Cheltenham
 Conversation of Jean Higgins with H Barker in 1993.
 Cumberland Argus 29 August 1908
 Sands Directories
 Sands Directories
 Sands Directories
 1911 Hardie & Gorman sale advertisement of the Ramona Estate NLA obj-230095204 and reproduced in Sue Rosen Heritage Impact Statement on 35 Boronia Avenue Beecroft August 2017 p14.